Henry K. Burtner Post 53 American Legion
729 Creek Ridge Road
Greensboro, NC 27406
The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation's largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow servicemembers and veterans.
The American Legion was founded on four pillars:
History of Post 53
In the fall of 1919, the official date being November 20, 1919, Allen Adams, a former lieutenant of artillery and a young attorney of Greensboro, circulated petitions for establishment of an American Legion Post in Greensboro, and with the help of many others organized Post No. 53, named for Henry K. Burtner, a regular army volunteer , the first Soldier from Greensboro who had lost his life in what was then known as the World War. The post was organized at a meeting held in the old Guilford County Courthouse on Jefferson Square just before it was torn down and the city started on is great building and expansion program. Adams became the first commander, served again in 1924-25. Eighty-nine names were on the charter roll. Post membership increased rapidly.
1922 Hosted the State Convention
1923 Established Greensboro Voiture No. 506 of the 40 and 8
1924 In cooperation with other patriotic societies the post helped establish the Greensboro Historical Museum
1925-26 Post led campaign to raise funds to erect the World War Memorial Stadium
1934 Hosted the State Convention
1938 Sponsored the dedication of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial in Forest Lawn Cemetery
1937 The post drafted a resolution requesting the President of the United States to name one of two dreadnaughts ships for the State of North Carolina, which was done
1945 - Purchased outright the American Legion Building at 218-220 South Greene Street for a home and headquarters a move which for several years solidified veterans activities in a good downtown location.
The downtown building was sold in 1959 and the new club house was built at 529 Creek Ridge Road off Highway 220 South which is the current post home.